KENYON COLLEGE - GAMBIER, OH
“The Kenyon Chapter received its charter in the year 1858. Tradition tells us that we are chiefly indebted to old Yale for this blessing...”
This quotation is from the Semi-Centennial Catalogue of 1882, which describes the first meeting of the Chapter, at which time the charter members were initiated by a delegation from Miami. At first, meetings were held in various rooms, but this proving unsatisfactory, the historic Lodge (now the oldest fraternal structure in the country) was built in 1860. It is still in use and is located in a landscaped park at the north end of the College grounds, to which it was moved in 1933.
The student body at classical Kenyon is small, and as a result has never assumed large proportions. Her membership today is smaller than that of the majority of her sister Chapters. But this deficiency in numbers has only served to stimulate her energy. The years that have passed have been marked by the loyalty of the undergraduates and alumni to their College, their Chapter, and the Fraternity at large.
While residential chapter houses have no place in Gambier under the College regulations, the East Wing of “Old Kenyon”, set apart for the Chapter’s exclusive use, answers the same purpose admirably. This fine stone dormitory, which was erected in 1828, was totally destroyed by fire in 1949. The next year it was rebuilt with the exterior being identical to that of the original and the interior being modern in every way as to furnishing and equipment. By that autumn, the Chapter had returned to their historic quarters where they continue their successful pursuit of literature, the cultivation of friendship, and the preservation of the Fraternity’s distinguished name.