McGILL UNIVERSITY - MONTREAL, QC
The first meeting held in Montreal with the object of forming a provisional society to apply for a charter of Alpha Delta Phi took place on a Sunday afternoon early in 1895. The meeting place was a bedroom in a boarding house on University Street. Besides the two whose bedroom it was, there were present four others. Ways and means were discussed and it was agreed to meet every Sunday at one of the homes. Six new members were added. After two or three months a room for meetings was rented in a boarding house in Mansfield Street, and the group assumed the title of Alpha Phi Epsilon Fraternity. Later the headquarters of the group moved to two fairly large and comfortable rooms over a shop in St. Catherine Street. There was a steady growth in numbers and solidarity, and prestige was greatly enhanced in university circles by the addition to the list of members of several members of the faculty. By the beginning of 1896 there had been developed a strong and active local fraternity.
From the very first the McGill "local" was encouraged by the Toronto Chapter in an effort to obtain a charter. They sent more than one deputation on an errand of inspection and as their requirements were satisfied they used their own influence to the utmost on behalf of the petitioners. The Memorial Chapter owes a great debt of gratitude to the Toronto Chapter. Deputations also came from the United States. The inspection was nothing if not searching and caused no small amount of perturbation. Finally the petition was granted and the Memorial Chapter of the Alpha Delta Phi received the Charter on May 11, 1897.
During the Great War (World War I), 133 Brothers were in service, 39 wounded, 17 killed in action or died in service, and 67 received honors and citations. The library of the chapter house is dedicated as a War Memorial, suitably decorated with many pictures of the Brothers who served their King and Country, hence the name Memorial Chapter.
In the Second World War, 183 Brothers from the Chapter served in the various armed services, both of the Commonwealth and the United States. Of those, 22 Brothers were killed in action or died in the service. The Alumni and active Brothers of the Memorial Chapter are very proud of this service record.
The activities of the Chapter during the war years are greatly curtailed, and, indeed, in 1943 there were only four active Brothers. Only the generous assistance of the Alumni Organization enabled the house to function as a Fraternity.