UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA - MINNEAPOLIS, MN
In the spring of 1890, a movement was first made by a small group of students at the University to obtain a charter for a chapter of the Fraternity. They presented a petition at its next convention, which was referred to the Johns Hopkins Chapter to investigate and report, but little or nothing was done.
As a result, however, the local alumni residing in Minneapolis and Saint Paul, at the request of this group, took the matter up and made a thorough investigation of all the men desired to become charter members and selected from their number five (5), who organized themselves as a local society under the name of Alpha Delta Epsilon for the purpose of holding together until a charter could be obtained. At this time William Watts Folwell, Geneva 1857, and President of the University of Minnesota, became interested and it was largely through his sponsorship that the Minnesota Chapter was later founded.
A petition was formulated and signed by leading alumni in the Northwest and presented for the consideration of the Convention held in Baltimore during May 1891.
On November 24, 1891, the Executive Council ordered the Charter to be issued. Five charter members were initiated at this time under the auspices of the local alumni of the Twin Cities on February 22, 1892. This Chapter had also been endorsed by many of the alumni associations, including those of Omaha, Chicago, Buffalo, and Cleveland. Indeed, at the initiation, there were present forty-three members, representing sixteen different Chapters, whose members resided not only in the Northwest, but also in Omaha, Chicago, and New York.
Owing to the fact that most of the leading fraternities had been represented in the University for several years prior to our Chapter’s installation and had built up a strong local body of young alumni in the Twin Cities, extra effort has been required to maintain the high standing of Alpha Delta Phi. However, by keeping before it as its watchword “quality and not numbers”, the Chapter has been able to maintain its position on the campus.
The Chapter has been fortunate in having its own Chapter House during all but the earlier part of its history. In 1925, the old house was razed and the present structure was erected on the same ground opposite the campus.