NU EPSILON ZETA CHAPTER
NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY - BOSTON, MA
This Chapter began as a local fraternity at Northeastern University in Boston in 1921. The founder was E. Frederick Low. Fred was completing his freshman year at Northeastern when he joined with eight other young men to establish a fraternity we know today as the Nu Epsilon Zeta Chapter of Alpha Delta Phi. The original name for the fraternity, Zeta Gamma Epsilon, was not approved by the University, but on November 3, 1921, the University did recognize it as Nu Epsilon Zeta. During its early years the fraternity attempted to be a “National Fraternity” by the establishment of Beta Chapters at the University of Connecticut and at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine. Those efforts dwindled and only the original Northeastern University Chapter of NEZ survived.
In 1923, NEZ acquired its first home, an apartment on Botolph Street in Boston. In 1924, the fraternity moved into the Town of Brookline and rented a house at 19 Brook Street. NEZ maintained a house in Brookline for the next 64 years. In 1952, the NEZ Alumni Association was formed and purchased a house at 255 St. Paul Street, previously owned by the MIT Chapter of Delta Tau Delta. The Alumni leased this property to the active chapter who made it their home for 36 years.
In the late 1980’s the Town of Brookline revoked the fraternity’s boarding house license and in September 1988 NEZ moved into 388 Arborway in Jamaica Plain. After 12 years in Jamaica Plain, changes in University policies and a decline in active membership almost ended the existence of Nu Epsilon Zeta. By the year 2000, Northeastern University was only interested in established National Fraternities on campus. The NEZ Alumni Association was reengaged and a search for a nationally recognized parent fraternity was conducted. In 2003, the Alumni found 3 National Fraternities interested in establishing a chapter at Northeastern and Alpha Delta Phi was chosen as the one they would consider joining. Negotiations were conducted throughout 2004 and a formal commitment to join ADP was made in November 2004.
In 2005, the Alumni searched for prospective candidates to become the founding fathers of Northeastern’s newest fraternity on campus. In fall 2005, the alumni met members of a well-organized, although not formally recognized Northeastern fraternity, Tau Epsilon Phi. Despite losing formal recognition from Northeastern, the TEP brotherhood maintained operations as an off-campus "underground" group, and continued their fraternal lifestyle and rituals. This included remaining in good social standing with other fraternities and sororities within the Greek system. In January 2006, the 17 remaining brothers of the former TEP fraternity voted overwhelmingly to join forces with NEZ. During 2006 the undergraduate brothers obtained their release from TEP and on October 6, 2006 were officially pinned as the founding fathers of the Nu Epsilon Zeta Chapter of Alpha Delta Phi. The strength of the NEZ Alumni is the reason the fraternity was held together during this difficult time. Since 2006, the brotherhood has maintained a steady growth and the Chapter is strong again.