UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO - TORONTO, ON
The establishment of the Toronto Chapter was an important event in the history of the Fraternity since it marked its entrance into the international field. The establishment of Chapters at McGill University in Montreal in 1897 and at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver in 1926 followed this initial move.
The Toronto Chapter was granted to a group that had been formed in April 1892, for the express purpose of petitioning Alpha Delta Phi. The group was carefully chosen from graduate and undergraduate members of the University and included three prominent members of the faculty. The petition was considered by the Convention held in Utica in May 1892; and the petitioning body was carefully investigated by several delegations that visited Toronto in 1892-1893.
Subsequently the Charter was granted in May 1893, and as many as possible of the Provisional Society proceeded to New York to be initiated on June 10 under the auspices of the Columbia Chapter, with Brother Clarence A. Seward, President of the Fraternity, presiding.
The new members were accompanied to Toronto by two Brothers of the Columbia Chapter. On June 13 the remaining members of the group were initiated. A chapter house was immediately secured, the first to be established at the University, since which the Chapter has enjoyed a successful career. It has been honored by the election of several of its members as officers of the Fraternity. Only two other fraternities on the campus, Zeta Psi and Kappa Alpha, preceded the Toronto Chapter.
During the war of 1914-1918, the Toronto Chapter acquitted itself with merit. Over one hundred members were in the service and of those eighteen were killed. In the spring of 1916 a curious situation arose. All the active members of the Chapter were on active service, but the Executive Council adopted a resolution to the effect that the members were to be regarded as on leave of absence. Hence the Charter was neither suspended nor revoked. The Chapter is grateful to the seven graduates who supervised the resumption of Chapter activities in January 1919.
During World War II over one hundred and fifty members served in the forces. The active Chapter, although forced to carry on with greatly reduced members, continued its activities successfully.
Since the war the Chapter has flourished, and its active membership now stands in the forties. Brother Colin Gibson, a Brother of the Chapter, was elected President of the Fraternity in 1948.
In 1964 the University expropriated the Chapter House, and a new house secured off-campus. The move, because of the less favorable location of the new house, is a challenge. However, the Toronto Chapter has always maintained high scholastic and athletic standards. Over the past four decades the Toronto Chapter has flourished in its new house. It has consistently ranked as one of the top three fraternities on campus and has provided real leadership at the University.